Figure Wishlist #05

Figure Wishlist #05 - Wave Beach Queens Super Sonico (Special Version)


Yesterday, I explained in length my desire to own one figure which has been on my wishlist for the longest time. Today, I'm going to be talking about the figure that rekindled that desire which also happens to be the source of my internal conflict. If you haven't already read yesterday's Wishlist entry, I highly recommend that you do before proceeding with this one to get a better idea of my cerebral processing.
Before we get into this figure itself, we first have to address the matter of Super Sonico and rehashed products. Frankly, she's no stranger to it and, in fact, one of the worse culprits especially where arcade/prize figures are concerned. Prime examples include, the Space Police and Queen of Hearts version which vary only by a color scheme change of the outfits. It's a marketing gimmick of the simplest kind, encouraging collectors to purchase all the variants and because they are so cheap, many often do. Personally, I make it a point to avoid these versions but, I would be lying if I said the Queen of Hearts version didn't interest me. Nevertheless, I have my reservations.
Sometimes I feel like the crab is a visual representation of us Sonico figure collectors

Which brings me to Wave and their "Special Version" Beach Queens Sonico. As you can most probably tell by the pictures, the biggest difference lies in Sonico having a tanned skin tone. Aside from that, there are a few subtle changes like different flavored ice cream, pink high heels and a lighter colored crab. Otherwise, everything from the pose to the outfit remains the same.

Nevertheless, where it is so much the same also makes it so much different. Because, the tanned skin tone works perfectly for Sonico. We've seen this formula applied in the past before to Sonico figures with much success. One figure that immediately comes to mind is, the Figma Swimsuit version of Sonico.

Where the other tanned versions merely change Sonico's skin tone, Wave made the effort to go one step further by adding the one thing which adds that, well, special quality to it. Tan lines. That's right, it is this one simple change which adds so much character and dimension to what is otherwise a rehash of the original Beach Queens Sonico figure. Sure, other manufacturers too have added tan lines to their Sonico figures as well but, Wave's degree of execution strikes me as being absolutely spot on. I suppose now we know why Wave calls it the Special Edition.

Which leads me all the way back to my conundrum. Which do I get, the original or the Special Version? On merits alone, I like both equally. The natural progression would be to get both rather than settling for one. But when it will cost you north of 10,000 Yen for two 1/10 scale figures, you stop for a while to consider the financial prudence of it all. Sure, collecting figures is hardly the smartest financial investment to go about but, at the very least we should be practical in our expenditure.


Even after all that, I still do not have the answer to my question. Although I have a feeling, come August (when the Special Version) is released, I may find myself forking out 6,800 Yen for this special figure. What about you? What would you do? I'd love to hear what you think.

Once again, thank you so much for reading and have a great day ahead!

Comments

Popular Posts